Welcome to My Blog!

Thanks for stopping by! My name is Nicholaus Haskins, and I am a professional wedding and model photographer located in sunny St Petersburg, Florida.

This blog was created to offer a feeling of transparency with my business; an inside look, into who I am and what I'm all about! It will follow my business, and personal life, and is constantly updated after every event. It will also serves as a library of information for my current and potential clients, as well as an information resource for photographers who just want to learn more! You can find your way around by clicking the links at the top!

This site is really laid back, so kick up your feet, grab a drink, and relax!

Add to Technorati Favorites Add to Google Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, February 5

My Lost Hobby

You know it's funny, before I started this business, photography was a hobby. Since that hobby turned into a profession, I now have no hobbys...which is bad.

Before photography, I started to ride Trials.

Trials riding? Yes, and not TRAILS riding...trials riding. The sport, or rather "art" is heavily based out of Europe. In fact when I used to ride, there was only 1 other person in the State of Florida who rode. There are MAYBE 500 riders in the US. Another fact is that there is only one US store who sells these special bikes priced at around $2000, or get one imported from Europe. The bikes are special in that they have no seat....your not meant to sit down. Norco, and Echo are among the top manufacturers.

Observed Trials is very popular with motorcycles, but them someone decided to adapt it for use with mountain bikes. Basically, you navigate a short obstacle course without ever having to put your foot on the ground. It takes incredible balance, a heightened sense of what's around you, and the ability to pinpoint exactly how far apart certain things are.

My 2 favorite riders are US based rider Ryan Leech, and Phil Feeney out of Europe. Ryan's style is very clean, very fluid, and sticks every landing with uncanny precision. Phil on the other hand is very aggressive, more freestyle, and just damn right wicked!

My personal goal for this year is to start riding again as a hobby. The bike I used to have was a stipped down mountain bike, wasnt meant of doing what I was trying to do, so I broke it. If I had a bike now, I'd start riding again! To all my readers, if you happen to be a trials rider, please contact me!

Of course my wife cringes thinking about her husband jumping 10 ft off a roof on a bike...BUT...you only live once. Gotta make the best of it.

Here are a few of my favorite videos;

This is an short clip from Ryan's DVD, Manifesto.



Here's Ryan riding in Prague



Ok, so now we switch styles a bit to Phil. Here is Phil's newest video, Edit 7. Just click the vid and you should be able to find all the edits. We're only going to post this one, and one other.



This one is still my all time fav. The city was going to ban riding, saying it was "vandalism." What do you think? Watch and decide for yourself.


1 comments:

Zekeshem said...

Um...WOW. That stuff is amazing!